All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: Match Reports Ipswich v Sunderland Tue 26.09.17 19:45
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm 

And the pain keeps coming.

Post subject: Re: Match Reports Ipswich v Sunderland Tue 26.09.17 19:45
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:40 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41315199

Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy will keep faith with keeper Bartosz Bialkowski despite his own-goal blunder in Saturday's 3-2 defeat at Leeds United.

Flynn Downes (thigh) is again absent, but skipper Luke Chambers will play despite a bang in the ribs.

Sunderland will assess Jonny Williams and Callum McManaman, who both missed the 2-1 loss to Cardiff City.

Boss Simon Grayson also awaits a report on striker Duncan Watmore, who played for the under-23 side on Sunday.

Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy told BBC Radio Suffolk: "I lost my first 11 games (as Sunderland manager), nine of them in the Premier League, and they were bonkers thinking I could keep them up.

"I get what Simon is going through, it is tough. You've got to get a foothold somewhere and they'll be looking for that down here.

"Simon got the job because of how well he did at Preston and how competitive they were. But he's gone to a club that are used to losing and spiralling downwards and it's hard to change that.

"If we continue to play like we did on Saturday we'll win games. We had Leeds by the scruff of the neck in the second half."

Match facts

• Ipswich have won six of their last eight league games against Sunderland at Portman Road (D1 L1).
  • This is the first meeting between the sides in any competition since January 2007 - the Black Cats, then managed by Roy Keane, won 1-0 at the Stadium of Light with a goal from David Connolly.
  • In seven visits to Portman Road in all competitions, Simon Grayson has never beaten Ipswich as a manager, drawing three and losing four.
  • The Black Cats are the only side in the Championship this season yet to keep a clean sheet.
  • None of Ipswich's last 15 league matches have ended as draws (W8 L7).
  • David McGoldrick has been directly involved in three of Ipswich's last four goals in the Championship (two goals and one assist).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 pm 

I was looking forward to two games a week in the Championship - the novelty has soon worn off! Nevertheless it's an early opportunity to start the turnaround and it might happen IF McGeady, Williams and Macmanaman are all fit. Also needs our central defenders to be a bit more than half awake as well - Kone singlehandedly responsible for both goals IMO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:28 pm 

Still saying "NOWT". :silent:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 am 

Tufty wrote:

NO! :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:44 am 

To be totally honest. I would not play Kone. I think his attitude is causing us more problems than just him letting goals in. (Can you imagine Kone playing in Peter Reid's side along with Kevin Ball. ?)

I hope Duncan W is back tonight, but only if he is 100% fit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/september/gooch-preview-ipswich-town

Ho hum

Lynden Gooch is hoping to use the pain and anguish of Saturday’s defeat as inspiration at Portman Road tonight.

The American international netted his first league goal for Sunderland at the Stadium of Light last weekend, levelling from the penalty spot after being clipped as he shaped to shoot.

But the Bluebirds soared back and secured all three points when Joe Ralls turned home a penalty at the other end of the field, leaving Gooch, 21, and his team-mates deflated.

However, with little time to dwell on Saturday’s frustrating result, Gooch has told safc.com his team-mates must dig deep and target three points when they visit Ipswich Town tonight, kick-off 7.45pm.

“It was disappointing obviously but it was my first league game at the Stadium of Light for a long, long time and I was happy to step up and get the goal,” he said.

“I have been working very hard and obviously it is only my third game of the season. I just need to keep going and work hard.

“The main thing against Cardiff was to try and get the win and we fell short.

“I have been waiting to get my first goal at home, it was a relief and amazing but it didn’t really mean much because we didn’t get the points.

“We have got another big game coming up really quickly against Ipswich so we have to get back at it and make sure we get the three points,” he continued.

“Vaughany gives 100% every game, he gets stuck in, he gets amongst it and that’s what I have been brought up doing at this football club. I just try to do the same thing.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 am 

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-boss-on-mick-mccarthy-and-ipswich-town-1-8772153

Simon Grayson remains confident that he can turn Sunderland’s season around despite the Black Cats falling into the bottom three on Saturday.

The Black Cats travel to Portman Road tonight in need of a positive result against Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich Town. He said: “I know I keep harking back to it but we were in a similar position this time last year at Preston before going on a good run.

Early on in my career at Blackpool we were in a similar position and ended that season getting promoted. “37 games to go, what’s that, 111 points to play for, nothing is lost in September. The table isn’t good for us right now but there’s a long way to go.”

Grayson has paid tribute to McCarthy and says he can take inspiration from his struggles last season. He said: “He’s a good friend of mine is Mick, someone I speak to on a regular basis. He’s a character in the game, last year he was under a lot of pressure down there and he was just so dismissive of it, that he knew what he was doing, that people shouldn’t be getting to down. They go then and win most of their games at the start of the season and he’s not shouting from the rooftops, not they’ve lost some he won’t be too pessimistic. That’s his experience, I like to compare myself to him a little bit in that we’ve both been doing this job a long time and we know what we’re doing,” he added.

“Like a Neil Warnock team, they’ll be organised and hard-working. They’ll go for the second balls, they’ll get it up to Joe Garner who I know well from my Preston days

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:10 am 

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-boss-needs-underperforming-players-to-step-up-1-8772432

This one is too right

Sunderland boss needs underperforming players to step up

Simon Grayson has reminded his players that reputation counts for nothing as they struggle to adjust to the demands of the Championship.

Sunderland’s wretched home record continued in a 2-1 defeat to Cardiff City on Saturday afternoon, leaving the Black Cats in the bottom three ahead of their trip to Portman Road.

A number of unheralded Bluebirds’ players caused Sunderland problems throughout, including midfielder Joe Ralls and winger Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

Grayson said: “Reputations count for nothing, it’s performances that matter.

“It’s a kick up the backside, a reminder for the players, that they have to work.

“If you think you have to concentrate in the Premier League, it’s even more important in the Championship because of the intensity of this league, when there are more balls coming into the box and you have to fight for second balls.

“In the Premier League it is all in front of you and obviously you have to concentrate because you are up against better players, but in the Championship it is a different type of concentration because you are asked questions nearly every minute of every game.”

Many managers picking up a relegated side have pointed to the difficulties in keeping players motivated, and while Grayson has insisted he has a good group at the Stadium of Light, he admits they have struggled against sides eyeing a prize scalp.

The Black Cats boss also wants to see improved decision making across the pitch as individual errors continue to undermine the team.
He said: “It can be a problem [motivation].

“If you look at the reverse, when I have been in charge of smaller clubs going to bigger clubs, you see them raise their game.

“That’s something we have to deal with. We have to raise our game instead because we are in the bottom three of this division.

“Regardless of who we are individually, collectively, as a team, we have to get results. We don’t want to use it as an excuse but we have been very unlucky on the injury front, we had probably five, six key players were out of the starting XI on Saturday. You take that out of any team, even four players, a Cardiff, Leeds, Wolves, it will make a difference.”

“The key point really is that our decision making has to better right across the pitch, from not making basic mistakes in the final third, defending your 18 yard box better, and making sure that we’re ruthless when we get a break and make chances,” he added.

“We’ve got to be better, individually the players have got to take responsibility for that as I do as well. We need to have players upping their games, I think if you were to grade a lot of them at this moment in time they’d be C, B-, if you’re going to get positive results you need B+ and A’s. They’ve shown moments in games, now it is about consistency.”

Grayson has himself faced criticism for returning to a system that has brought little success for Sunderland so far this season.

The five-man defence was quickly ditched against Cardiff but the Black Cats boss insists in time that he can make it a success.

“We just felt that Cardiff were getting the upper hand, and the goal gave them a lift and got them going,” he said.

“The players are comfortable playing that system but we haven’t had much time to work on it, and get it right like I have at other teams in the past.

“With 4-4-2 there is no grey area, so we changed it around.

“But it wasn’t the team or the system that I was going to play on Saturday morning before we were hit with the injuries and illnesses.

I think we need to do more work on it.

“We’re playing it because Ty Browning and Marc Wilson can go out into the wide areas and play as full-backs, which you need your centre-halves to be able to do if you are going to make that system work,” he added.

“I think it’s more a case of working on the wing-back areas, how much attacking they need to be doing and when they need to be back in position.

It’s not something we have done a lot, so it needs to be worked on.

“The problem is that the flow of games has been relentless and we’ve had hardly any time to work on the training pitch, it’s been play-recover, play-recover.

“Hopefully over the next few weeks if we get some of the players back and we can get some consistency in the selection and get a settled team, it will help with partnerships and confidence.”

“Whether you are going to play as a three or a four up front, you need key players to put more balls into the box.

“We have to work the opposition back four more.

“We’ve got into the habit of trying to play our way through teams rather than put more balls into the box – and the more balls you put into the box, sometimes the more mistakes the opposition make.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 am 

And couple more, for your delectation.

Simon G, grades his players

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/simon-grayson-grades-sunderland-players-13673338

With two key men likely to still be out, this Sunderland XI will have to do for Ipswich clash

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/9/26/16361254/with-two-key-men-likely-to-still-be-out-this-sunderland-xi-will-have-to-do-for-ipswich-clash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:13 pm 

Starting to get a bit despondent now! Not sure that the current combination of players and manager are capable of organising a sensible defensive display so we virtually kick off 1 or 2 goals down. At heart I think it's the players but feel that Grayson should be making more progress with them. Granted he's missing players but they're nearly all forwards and it's got to be improved at the back. Lad who saw the match on Saturday said we looked like conceding every time Cardiff attacked and it appears that tonight was no different :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 pm 

I am LOST for words ! I honestly don't know what to say ! :twisted:
this club will be the death of me :crazy:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:18 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41315199

Sunderland's winless Championship run extended to eight games as ex-Black Cat Martyn Waghorn scored and set up three more in their heavy defeat at Ipswich.

He got across his man to glance in Joe Garner's cross, but Billy Jones headed home a corner to equalise soon after.

Ipswich led again when Jordan Spence powered in and Waghorn backheeled for Bersant Celina to finish for 3-1.

David McGoldrick bundled home a fourth and although Aiden McGeady curled in, Grant Ward made it five for Ipswich.

Simon Grayson's Sunderland have won just two points from the last 24 on offer and remain third from bottom, while the Tractor Boys are up to fifth.

Ex-Rangers and Leicester striker Waghorn, who came through the youth system at the Stadium of Light, was a constant menace for Mick McCarthy's side and now has five goals in seven league appearances this season.

McGeady's strike, which found the top corner from outside the area, was arguably the goal of the match, while Ward rounded visiting keeper Jason Steele to complete the scoring from a tight angle.

Only bottom side Bolton have conceded more goals than Sunderland, who are the only side in the second tier yet to keep a clean sheet this term, while McCarthy's side are the league's highest scorers.

Ipswich

33 Bialkowski
2 Iorfa
12 Spence
4 Chambers
3 Knudsen
9 Waghorn Substituted for Ward at 75'minutes
15 Adeyemi
8 Skuse
11 Celina Substituted for Nydam at 75'minutes Booked at 85mins
14 Garner
10 McGoldrick Substituted for Sears at 90'minutes

Substitutes

16 Connolly
18 Ward
20 Sears
22 Nydam
24 Crowe
28 Bru
30 Kenlock

Sunderland

1 Steele
2 Jones
23 Koné
36 Wilson Substituted for O'Shea at 51'minutes
21 Matthews
13 McManaman Substituted for Honeyman at 66'minutes
24 Gibson
6 Cattermole
3 Oviedo Substituted for Gooch at 56'minutes
19 McGeady Booked at 67mins
9 Vaughan Booked at 44mins

Substitutes

16 O'Shea
17 Ndong
18 Browning
25 Ruiter
26 Honeyman
27 Gooch
29 Asoro

Referee:
Tim Robinson

Attendance:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:39 am 

Tufty wrote:

Next time I won't even say Nowt. Martyn Waghorn comes back to haunt us this time. Why do ex SAFC players always do well against us?

Every time I think things can't get worse and we will turn a corner soon what happens? Things get worse and we still don't turn the corner. Next time out it's Preston so lets hope SG haunts his ex, things don't get worse and we turn a corner. Here's hoping. Keep the faith.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:15 am 

Sorry to bother you doctor, but how long will the pain last? :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am 

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/manager-simon-grayson-on-sunderland-pressure-after-dismal-ipswich-defeat-1-8774446

Manager Simon Grayson on Sunderland pressure after dismal Ipswich defeat

Simon Grayson accepts that serious questions will be asked of him and his team after the 5-2 defeat to Ipswich.

Sunderland have now won just one of their opening 10 games and sit third bottom of the table.

Grayson said: “Well we’ve lost and conceded five. We’ve got to roll our sleeves up and do whatever we can to get it sorted.

“I’m not going to sit here and say everything is fine because it’s not, we’re in the bottom three, we’ve been beaten heavily.

“We’ve got to work harder to be ready for Saturday and they’ll certainly be working hard in the two-week break.”

Grayson also said his team changes were merely an attempt to find a successful formula for his Sunderland team.

Key attacking players Aiden McGeady and Callum McManaman returned to the starting XI but Grayson also made changes right across the field.

Jason Steele replaced Robbin Ruiter while Didier Ndong (pictured) was dropped in favour of Darron Gibson, who made his first league start of the season.

Billy Jones also came in at right-back but Sunderland were again exposed.

Grayson said: “When you’re losing games, you just try and make the changes to make something happen and find something that works for you. Jason Steele wasn’t to blame for any of the goals, Robbin Ruiter hadn’t done anything wrong like Jason hadn’t.

“We tried to change things to get a result but the changes we’re making obviously aren’t working at the moment.”

Grayson was critical of his players, accusing them of being a soft touch and saying he would not accept a lack of confidence for their efforts off the ball.

He said he had tried to be constructive in his remarks, though, with a game at his former club Preston on the horizon.

“Tonight it’s been more constructive criticism of what we need to do, obviously there’s been words said, but we have tried to be constructive rather than ranting and raving,” he said. “Everyone in that dressing room is disappointed so I’m not going to shout from the rooftops.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:42 am 

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/9/27/16372220/dreadful-performance-but-what-did-we-expect

Dreadful performance, but what did we expect? Roker Report

http://salutsunderland.com/2017/09/rock-bottom-or-worse-ahead-grayson-on-five-yards-off-the-pace-safc/

Rock Bottom or Worse Ahead Salut Sunderland

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ipswich-town-5-2-sunderland-13679497

Ipswich Town 5-2 Sunderland analysis - it promises to be a long winter on Wearside Chronicle LIVE

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-afc-news-live-fallout-13679662

Sunderland AFC news LIVE - fallout from terrible night after heavy Ipswich defeat Chronicle LIVE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am 

We are going no place with an incompetent Chairman, the usual second rate manager (suggested by Moyes) broken down Everton rejects spending most of the time at First Aid, what we need is empty seats and a plane going over the Stadium reading "Ellis out". There's only Quinn could see the potential there is here, but we are run by donkeys in it for the dosh only, the last thing Reid said before we got relegated was the desperation speech naming each player we had and how good they were, Grayson's sounding off the same old drivel :crazy:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:47 pm 

I had the misfortune to be there last night. We were as bad as the result indicated.

GK - lacking confidence.
Defence - either not bothered or no idea
Midfield - Gibson should never play for us again. Catts is two yards off the pace , never mind one.
The rest get the benefit of the doubt.
McGeady has the talent but not the teammates to make it work.
Vaughn is a trier but we just launch diagonal ball in the hope there will be a lucky touch on. that is the extent of our creativity.

Away fans kept singing to the end but that was one of the smallest and oldest away followings I've seen in all my years a supporting Sunlan.

Manager - square pegs in round holes, crap formation, substitutions poor (again and again and again)

We're doomed!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:09 pm 

Les Miserable wrote:
I had the misfortune to be there last night. We were as bad as the result indicated.

GK - lacking confidence.
Defence - either not bothered or no idea
Midfield - Gibson should never play for us again. Catts is two yards off the pace , never mind one.
The rest get the benefit of the doubt.
McGeady has the talent but not the teammates to make it work.
Vaughn is a trier but we just launch diagonal ball in the hope there will be a lucky touch on. that is the extent of our creativity.

Away fans kept singing to the end but that was one of the smallest and oldest away followings I've seen in all my years a supporting Sunlan.

Manager - square pegs in round holes, crap formation, substitutions poor (again and again and again)

We're doomed!

I met 2 Sunderland supporters, a man and wife, near Banbury today. We had nothing to say to one another, except that everyone hates Kone and a few others.

If Catts isn't trying then we are seriously doomed.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm 

Pour yourselves a stiff drink and watch the video on this link. If you have the stomach for it, you can watch the full games at SAFC.com

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/september/highlights-v-ipswich-town

Now.

My summation is that at the very least we have a Kone shaped hole in our defence. Possibly, we have a defence shaped hole in our defence.

Other views would be gratefully received.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:08 pm 

I only listened to it on the radio. Sounded like we tried but we're just not good enough and make too many mistakes :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm 

Becs wrote:
I only listened to it on the radio. Sounded like we tried but we're just not good enough and make too many mistakes :(

There were mistakes alright but one of the main things was that we were constantly muscled off the ball. We lost so many 50/50s because our players couldn't stay on their feet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 pm 

Hakuna Matata wrote:
Pour yourselves a stiff drink and watch the video on this link. If you have the stomach for it, you can watch the full games at SAFC.com

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/september/highlights-v-ipswich-town

Now.

My summation is that at the very least we have a Kone shaped hole in our defence. Possibly, we have a defence shaped hole in our defence.

Other views would be gratefully received.

Only watched the highlights(?) but am going to try and say something positive. We created some chances and the heads did not go down as we still tried even at 4-1 and 5-2 down to get forward and get something (goals). I am not going to say anything negative, as most has been said already.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 am 

Interesting read.

An interview with Jason Steele

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-safc-dressing-room-post-13683608

Page 1 of 1 [ 25 posts ]